10 Great Medieval Games to Play Right Now, Including Manor Lords

• Thread starter Thread starter Matt Kim
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Kim

The European Medieval period has always been an era of fascination, especially in games. This age has inspired some of the best low fantasy romps and strategy games that have endured as classics for generations. With that in mind, we’ve made a list of our own, with samplings throughout the ages that may inspire you to pick up a title or two if you’re in want of something truly, medieval-y, immersive.

While some of these games are no doubt a head above the rest, this list includes some of the best games either set in the Medieval Times (also known as the Middle Ages), or have worlds and scenarios inspired by this time period.

Crusader Kings Series​

Crusader Kings remains endlessly entertaining in how it weaves the social dynamics of being part of Medieval society directly into its gameplay. Playersassume the role of a leader of one of a dozen real nations that existed throughout the Middle Ages. How you navigate your time as a monarch is entirely up to you. Scheme, flatter, court, and manipulate at will.

Describing the mechanics of Crusader Kings can be a little difficult, as the game is so dense the best way to get a feeling for the game is to simply play it. It feels almost impossible to ever “finish” a game of Crusader Kings, I probably never will. But I will never forget how I had been demoted from the position as the Duke of York several times over, only to be reinstated as the Duke of York every two years after the previous Duke and Chancellor to the King of England had been poisoned or fallen ill. It’s fascinating to watch my character move from being a lowly serf to a Duke based on politics I honestly did not understand and alliances I did or did not make through accidentally influencing a change in the religion during one of my several tenures as Duke. Crusader Kings encapsulates all of the weirdness of the politics of the Medieval Times, which is what has propelled it to the top of our list.

Pentiment​

Pentiment is a side-scrolling 2D murder mystery game set in the 1500’s. Players assume the role of two different protagonists, Andreas and Magdalene, who seek to uncover a series of mysterious murders in the fictional town of Tassing. The game heavily relies on collecting clues to determine the culprit of the murder, which is done through conversing with the townsfolk and the brothers and sisters of the local abby.

What makes Pentiment stand out — other than its engrossing narrative — is the use of artwork to make you feel as though you are immersed in a tome written in the Middle Ages, hand-scrawled by a nameless monk. Pentiment is a masterclass in narrative and visual design, and anyone who has a craving for a great story set in Medieval Times will want to check it out.

Dragon's Dogma Series​

A more fantastical take on the time period, Dragon's Dogma is the best low fantasy Action RPG you can get your hands on today. Dragon's Dogma has all of the aesthetic trappings of the time period, down to minute details that include its user interface, armor design, and in-game illustrations.

It’s clear Capcom did a healthy amount of research to create this delicious low fantasy setting, as the world is populated with monsters found in European mythology, down to the design of the titular dragon bearing resemblance to illustrations that feel ripped right out of Saint George and the Dragon. Players assume the role of the Arisen, a would-be adventurer or ruler depending on the game you play, as they seek out the dragon that has stolen their heart. While the premise is simple, the narrative is one that remains engrossing as it is told through environmental design, sparse quests, and NPC dialogue to flesh out this gorgeous Middle Ages-inspired world.

Manor Lords​

Having had the opportunity to play Manor Lords ahead of release, I was impressed with what the game had to offer. You can craft your own experience, either by simply creating a village and tending to its inhabitants as their benevolent or malevolent lord, or build up your own army to lay claim to areas surrounding your fiefdom. Naturally you can do both of these things, but Manor Lords is a light simulation game where you can tailor the difficulty to your own preferences. I spent hours plotting out my village, taking care of my villagers and building a sprawling city connected by roads that exchanged tanned leather for sheep and oxen. I managed the economy, as any lord might, and am even able to walk around my own domain to take in its glory.

Wartales​

Ever wanted to live among a band of mercenaries in the Middle Ages? Well, Wartales allows you to live that very fantasy. You can choose to create your own band of cutthroats or team up with friends as you explore another Medieval Times inspired scenario where you can accept quests from the common folk and lords alike. What makes Wartales so interesting and immersive are the simulation aspects of the game, such as food and supply management, and crafting.

While Wartales lacks an overarching narrative, the game is fun to wander around in, and will satisfy those looking for a meaty turn-based game to sink their teeth into. Players have complete control over how their band of mercenaries develop, and with its small selection of DLC content you can also run a tavern on the side if you’ve the mind to give up your adventuring ways.

Age of Empires Series​

How could you have a list of games set in the Medieval Times and not include the Age of Empires series? That would be criminal! This Real-Time Strategy title transports players directly into the Bronze Age where building their society up to the Middle Ages is integral for victory — either against other players, or A.I. controlled enemies. Outside of the option to play within various maps as any faction of your choosing, with samplings from Feudal Japan, the Aztec Empire, and the Byzantine Empire, the games also include unique campaigns that are loosely based on historical events. While these campaigns aren’t the most riveting, they are an interesting look at history from various time periods. This game series has remained a classic for a reason, and has more than likely inspired a fascination with the Middle Ages for an entire generation of players. It certainly did for me!

A Plague Tale Series​

A more narrative heavy title on this list, A Plague Tale series is set in the fiefdom of Aquitaine, or modern day France. Players assume the role of Amicia de Rune who is tasked with protecting her brother Hugo from the French Inquisition. This is a more fantastical take on history, as the Black Plague manifests in this game as a swarm of rats under Hugo’s control.

The first game focuses on Amicia rescuing her brother from the clutches of the church, while the second is far more inspired by folk horror and explores the nature of cults in the Middle Ages. This hybrid stealth-horror game more or less uses the trappings of this time period as constraints for the player’s weapons and aesthetics of the time period to weave a story about the bond between siblings and the insidious nature of various religious structures. Overall, it’s a decent play but those looking for something more cut and dry in terms of how it portrays the Medieval Times may be left wanting.

Fear & Hunger​

This game comes with a plethora of content and trigger warnings (which include sexual violence, assault, body horror, and more), so seek out Fear & Hunger at your own risk. While Fear & Hunger has grown in popularity thanks to loads of YouTube video essays that discuss some of the more interesting aspects of the game — primarily the lore and its use of religion — this title is a dark look at the Middle Ages.

You can pick from several protagonists, each with their own reason to delve into the oppressive dungeon where you will spend most of your time facing off against grotesque monstrosities and cultists that serve ancient gods beyond your comprehension. Combat is turn-based, with players able to focus their attacks on various body parts to gain specific advantages against their foes. What makes Fear & Hunger rank on this list is its inspired use of the Middle Ages to create a captivating scenario, even if it feels a little too heavily inspired by Berserk at times. If you’re looking for dark fantasy, then you’ll find it in Fear & Hunger, potentially at your own risk.

Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord​

Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord is a game for those looking to engage in warfare, and do little else. While there is an overarching narrative, the sole focus of the game is to amass an army and siege castles with a level of historical accuracy that will no doubt introduce some players to “murder holes.” Players can construct various kinds of siege engines to bring into combat, and even accompany their troops into large-scale battles as well. Everything you do in the game more or less serves to build a larger army, which includes interacting with NPCs to barter and trade.

And don’t worry, if you fall in combat, you can have one of your children take your place and assume control of your army — assuming you had a child to do so. Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord is a great combat sim for those looking to really immerse themselves in battle and the early Middle Ages.

King of the Castle​

If Crusader Kings is a little too complicated for you, but you love political intrigue and forming relationships across generations of potentially inept rulers, King of the Castle is for you.

King of the Castle positions you as the monarch of a fantasy nation where you will solve — or create — problems for your kingdom, with the end result potentially ending in exile, assassination, or regicide. Unlike Crusader Kings, you won’t be vying for power across the whole of Europe and into stretches of Asia, as King of the Castle focuses on the management of your singular kingdom. You will need to keep your people fed, prevent alliances from forming that could see you unseated from your throne, and handle trade systems that could benefit your nation. What makes King of the Castle so exciting is its multiplayer component and Twitch integration, which will see you at odds with your friends or even audience. King of the Castle also features a lovely 2D paper doll-esque art style that lends itself to the game and atmosphere of the game well.

And these are our picks for the top ten games inspired by Medieval Times! Let us know what your picks are, or what you’d recommend to your fellow lords, serfs, and courtiers!

Kazuma Hashimoto is a freelance writer for IGN.

Status
Not open for further replies.