Tekken Boss Katsuhiro Harada Says Dev Team 'Working Around the Clock' to Improve Tekken 8 Amid Backlash, 'Emergency' Patch Planned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wesley Yin-Poole

Guest
tekken8annawilliamsgameplaytrailer-ign-blogroll-1740491992739.jpg

It’s all kicking off in the Tekken community. This week IGN reported on how Tekken 8 players had reacted in anger to the Season 2 update because of big changes it made to the way the fighting game played.

Patch notes revealed an across-the-board buff to character damage potential and offensive pressure, which caused some within the community to complain that Tekken 8 has strayed too far from the classic Tekken experience.

The backlash got so bad that some pro Tekken players threatened to ditch the game, while others took to Steam to leave angry negative reviews.


In response, the Tekken development team at Bandai Namco issued a statement acknowledging the furore, and confirming an “emergency patch” would be released this month to address Paul and Jack specifically, with more balance changes to come.

Fighters,

we are aware of the current community feedback regarding #TEKKEN8 Season 2.
We are carefully reviewing the balance of the game; expect more information about these changes soon.

In addition, an emergency patch will be released in April to adress the following issues👇 pic.twitter.com/Gvet0IOISu

— TEKKEN (@TEKKEN) April 3, 2025

Now, Tekken development chief has waded in, tweeting one person’s complaint that the Tekken community had gone too far in directing its anger at specific staff on social media.

“In any case, it is clear to me that the result is a disconnect between what the community wants and the tuning results,” Harada said.

“I understand that whatever words I may be accused by the community about it, that is not the essential issue and it is not the time to worry about it.

“We have our Battle & Tuning team working around the clock to read through all the feedback logs from the community and work on future policies and changes for the better.

“Thanks.”

Tekken characters in Season 2 pic.twitter.com/n6UTHsSswn

— K-Wiss 🉐 (@KungFuKobi) April 3, 2025

It seems unlikely that Harada’s comment will calm the angry responses from the Tekken community, or stem the tide of negative user reviews on Steam. Recent reviews there are now ‘overwhelmingly negative’ after thousands of negative reviews were left in the last week.

“I am baffled,” reads the current “most helpful” user review. “I never seen devs so out of touch with the community.

“New season dropped and they made every character into a braindead easy mix up machine without a single buff to defense. From the start of Tekken 8 players were vocal about the prominence of easy mix-ups and the glaring nerfs to defense compared to past Tekken games and yet they do a huge patch with lots of new moves that emphasise on every aspect the players disliked about the game.

“No-one, literally no-one asked for these changes, even new players never asked for more offense in a game that clearly lacks defensive options and is easy to mash button and win like in most Tekken games.”


Wesley is the UK News Editor for IGN. Find him on Twitter at @wyp100. You can reach Wesley at [email protected] or confidentially at [email protected].
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top